Wednesday, July 25, 2012

hanging on to now


Yesterday I went on a hike along the shore of Lake Pend Oreille.  It was a perfect summer day - the right temperature, blue sky, the sound of waves lapping onto the rocks.


But I kept finding myself thinking about work and things I need to do.  I was making a to-do list in my head for when the hike was over.  I rolled over events and people in the past.  I clearly was not present for this experience.


So I had to keep pulling myself back to the now and it was work!  Like exercise, it required effort and practice.  Maybe someday it will be more natural for me to stay present but I have not made it a habit.
All I can think of to remedy this is to keep at it, over and over, until it is what I do when surrounded by beauty.


Do you have trouble remaining present even in the most positive of situations?  Please let me know if you have any tips on this practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment